Thursday 8 November 2012

A grumpy old bunch

So recently, I happened across the rather unfortunate stereotype that British citizens are unusually grumpy, and arrogant.

I think that this is a particularly disruptive, and quite frankly ridiculous assumption.
I have seen many arguments in the comments section of YouTube videos about racism, and have seen many accusations towards British people .

I believe that the basis for this personality stereotype is how the videos that "trolls" will watch, aggravate British people and they express their (temporary) feelings in the comments section- that is there for that specific reason. The other viewers then see these negative comments, and usually end up fighting with the other user.
I think that they then get the impression that we're just a grumpy old bunch, which I don't think is true.

Yes, we can be arrogant- but then, all people can be, in all countries, and it isn't really fair to judge an entire creed on a few negative reactions, that, if you think about it, could be understandable. Add the fact that in all countries, there are unpleasant people- but pleasant people to balance it out.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, it's wrong to judge an entire nation on the mistakes of a few nitwits.
It's ok of there is some truth to the stereotype, and isn't all negative (e.g British people love tea).

No comments:

Post a Comment